Monday, July 24, 2006

Miss Universe doesn't know success

Okay, I'll admit it. I watched the Miss Universe pagent last night. Not my proudest moment, but I've always enjoyed watching pagents. I think it goes back to watching them as a kid with my mom and trying to guess who'd win.

Anyway, I spent 90% of the show trying to brush out my fur-ball of a dog so I didn't actually see most of it.

But one thing that got me was duing the final question portion of the night one of the last 5 remaining girls was asked "How do you define success?" Of course I didn't care for her answer, but I guess that's why I'm not the reigning Miss Universe (one of many reasons).

So to give whoever it was a clue - I sought out some expert opinions on success. Here's some of what I found:

Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. ~ Abraham Lincoln

If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. ~Albert Einstein

A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up. ~Albert Schweitzer

To follow, without halt, one aim: There's the secret of success. ~Anna Pavlova

It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way. ~Aristotle

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody. ~Bill Cosby

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. ~Bob Dylan

The person who makes a success of living is the one who see his goal steadily and aims for it unswervingly. That is dedication. ~Cecil B. DeMille

Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love. ~David McCullough

Success in business requires training and discipline and hard work. But if you're not frightened by these things, the opportunities are just as great today as they ever were. ~David Rockefeller

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life. ~Dr. David M. Burns

Success is counted sweetest by those who ne'er succeed. ~Emily Dickinson

My mother drew a distinction between achievement and success. She said that ‘achievement is the knowledge that you have studied and worked hard and done the best that is in you. Success is being praised by others, and that's nice, too, but not as important or satisfying. Always aim for achievement and forget about success.' ~Helen Hayes

Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it. ~Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

kate kiya said...

Great Quotes! I especially like ols Al Einstein's. :o)