Monday, February 11, 2008

Day 6


So, we're now in the middle of Day six of Lent and no TV.

Surviving the weekend was a little more difficult than I would have thought. Don't get me wrong, we're not huge TV junkies. Our TV has had plenty of days it hasn't been on before and wouldn't be going into shock or anything.

But the real shocker was going into a restaurant Saturday night and seeing not one, but two TV's in the room for all to see. It was just a sports channel, so nothing too exciting, but I guess I never thought about how many places we'd be going into for the next few weeks that would be decked out in TVs.

Everyone's got TVs in their homes, but it's pretty common to see them in restaurants, in waiting rooms and lobbies. Heck, even in my dentist's office, there's a TV in every single examination room. There's always some movie playing as my teeth are getting cleaned or fixed.

So what's a girl to do - I can't ask every place I go into to turn off their TVs. Hmmmm.... I guess we're going to have to make a better effort to sit away or not watch too much. Luckily most places have some sports thing on and we're not avid sports nuts...

Then, yesterday, I realized how much we used it for more of a background noise. We were being busy little bees in the afternoon and were cleaning and doing some assembly work on a new dresser (Wal-Mart cheapy special) for our bedroom when we both were thinking how nice it'd be to turn on a movie or TV for some white noise to work by.

But, we didn't and managed to survive. I bet we'll be listening to a lot more music in the next few weeks. Any recommendations?

No comments: