Friday, November 02, 2007

Oh the Green and Gold

In 1909, Baylor President Samuel Palmer Brooks famously urged graduates to “lay aside for a few days the usual cares of life” and “come back to your alma mater,” to “catch that Baylor spirit again.”

Well, sadly enough this weekend is Baylor's Homecoming, one of my favoirte times on campus, and we won't be able to return. This year is the 99th celebration, so maybe next year for the 100th we'll get to return to our beloved alma mater and fling some green and gold back on campus.

I'm going to miss not being this year, as I have for the past four years since we left, but will always have my Baylor Pride deep within my heart.

And in that Baylor spirit, I post some video of fellow Baylorites who boldly videoed (in color!) their exploits around Baylor's campus and neighboring Cameron Park back in 1939 and 1940.

Now, there is no sound to the video, which I really wish there was, but it's still neat to watch.



The best part? I've been on that same statue of Judge Baylor, been inside many (if not all) of the buildings seen on campus, stood right on that same lookout over the Brazos River in Cameron Park, and even attempted to ring that same bell - even though I swear it's welded now and unringable.

So that's my little shout-out for Baylor this Homecoming weekend. I miss you and hope to return soon. Sic'em Bears!

1 comment:

kate kiya said...

Yea, you should definitely try and make it for the 100th anniversary! wow! Teach Baylee and Jackie some new Baylor-related tricks for the occasion and maybe you'll be guests on honor! :)